Well it's time for me to step back and look for new leadership with our chapter. But before we get into the nomination and election process, I would like to reflect on the accomplishments of the NGMBA for the past year.
8 miles of new trail at Talking Rock, that NGMBA helped develop by educating Southeastern Trust for Parks & Land on best practices, recommending the trail builder, contribute partial funding and help maintain.
Developed a Mountain Bike Trail concept plan for Carters Lake for Ridgeway and Woodring. USACE is in the process of approving the plan. When complete, Woodring will have an additional 11 miles + a pump track. Ridgeway will have a total of 6 miles of flow trail.
Re-opened Ridgeway - constructed 2 miles of flow trail and revamped the gravity trails.
Aska Trail System - Continued the Challenge Cost Share Agreement with US Forest Service in constructing the re-route on Longbranch. New bridge to be constructed soon. Completed the first phase of NEPA for Fruitkof new trail project. Botanical survey is complete and we are waiting for US Forest Service to perform the Archeological survey. Once these surveys are done, then fundraising for 8.5 miles of new trail at Fruitkof will begin with construction to follow. Rock Armoring Clinic will be scheduled for late this year or early next year.
Cartecay Bike Shop has performed many hours of maintenance at Bear Creek/Pinhotis/Mountaintown trails and hosted fun rides and events.
Mulberry Gap has hosted:
Brutal Loop - spring (Singletracks.com)
Drama Queen - summer
Singlespeed Smackdown - summer (Singlespeed Militia)
Turkey Shuffle - fall
Fireball Fiasco - winter
To date, Mulberry Gap has raised around $10k since early 2016. We have really enjoyed putting on these events and helping out our community and would love to continue growing them to see the club and trails thrive!
Blue Mountain Bike hosted the Carters Lake Enduro Reloaded at Ridgeway and raised $2,600.
NGMBA with the Gilmer Chamber of Commerce applied for the IMBA Ride Center Designation, hopefully to be awarded in 2019.
Donated $500 to each NICA team to help support them.
Initiated a public meeting between the Gilmer Commissioners and Cherokee Commissioner to tour the Blankets Creek parking facility to educate Gilmer on how investing in mountain bike parking infrastructure can benefit the community.
It is my sincere hope that the new leadership will carry this work forward and to help our community, get more people on bikes and create more trails that everyone can enjoy.
Mike Palmeri, President NGMBA
Now onto the nomination process. These are the board of directors positions:
1. President: The President shall be responsible for carrying out the directives of the NGMBA Board of Directors. The President shall also be the chairman of the NGMBA Board of Directors, preside over the membership meetings, communicate with members and represent NGMBA as a member of SORBA’s main organization Board of Directors, referred to herein as SORBA/Main. The President shall also serve as liaison to the Gilmer, Fannin and Pickens County Chamber of Commerce, elected officials and North Georgia land managers. The President can expect to volunteer a minimum of 8hrs @ month or less if all officers and directors are performing their duties.
2. Vice President: The Vice President shall discharge the duties of the president in the event of a vacancy in that office or in the event the president is absent or unable to discharge those duties. The Vice President shall also assist the president in NGMBA activities as requested. The VP can expect to volunteer a minimum of 4hrs @ month.
3. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall report on the status of all money and property of NGMBA and maintain records of all financial transactions. The Treasurer shall also submit financial reports to the Treasurer of SORBA/Main on a monthly basis and provide status of all money at NGMBA Chapter meetings. The Treasurer shall submit NGMBA IRS Tax Returns and maintain NGMBA corporate status with Georgia Secretary of State on an annual basis. The Treasurer can expect to volunteer a minimum of 2hrs @ month.
4. Secretary: The Secretary shall keep a record of NGMBA bylaws, meeting notes, and other administrative papers on file locally and on the SORBA Google Drive. The Secretary can expect to volunteer a minimum of 2hrs @ month.
5. Activity Director: The Activity Director shall coordinate group rides, festivals, races, fundraising, and other social events. The Activity Director will also identify potential sponsors, solicit donations, and maintain relationships with existing sponsors. The Activity Director shall submit NGMBA articles and pictures to SORBA/Main for news publications. The Activity Director is encouraged to develop committee(s) to accomplish activity goals. The Activity Director can expect to volunteer a minimum of 8hrs @ month.
6. Trail Director: The Trail Director shall be responsible for coordinating work party schedules. The Trail Director shall compile and submit volunteer hours to the SORBA/Main volunteer database and corresponding land managers on a quarterly basis. The Trail Director shall be responsible for the inventory of tools and upkeep of the tool trailer and manage the certifications of Crew Leaders and Sawyers. The Trail Director is directed to develop a trail committee consisting of a Trail Boss for each trail system. Trail bosses need to be approved by the NGMBA Board of Directors and report to the Trail Director. Trail Director and Trail Bosses must have a current Crew Leader and CPR/First Aid Certifications. The Trail Director can expect to volunteer a minimum of 8hrs @ month.
7. Webmaster: The Webmaster shall be responsible for managing web-based information on the NGMBA website and social networking sites. The Webmaster can expect to volunteer a minimum of 4hrs @ month.
8. Membership Director: The Membership Director shall maintain membership management database. Communicate with new, renewed lapsed and expired members. Develop new members by coordinating with IMBA and SORBA membership drives, on-site membership registration at events, emails, social media and other membership promotions. The Membership Director can expect to volunteer a minimum of 4hrs @ month.
9. Community Liaison: The Community Liaison will assist the President and Membership Director on communications and marketing campaigns, assist with chapter fundraising, and act as goodwill ambassador with local business community and elected officials. The Community Liaison can expect to volunteer a minimum of 4hrs @ month.
* Any current member of NGMBA may hold a board member position within the NGMBA Board of Directors.
* The members of NGMBA and/or the NGMBA Board of Directors may nominate board members by October 31st (the date will be extended to Friday Nov 2, 2018) for the election in November. Notice for nominations shall be advertised by email, Social Media and website for two weeks prior to Nov 2, 2018.
* Click HERE to email your nomination.
So please, everyone check your membership if you want to nominate a special person you think will be a good candidate or if you yourself want to step up.
Here is the link to join or renew your membership: https://www.imba.com/join/chapter/ngmba